If you are considering the purchase of a new Hyundai and you want to learn more about CarPlay, then you’ll be happy to know that we have you covered. One of the best things about CarPlay is its interphase, which will be familiar to anyone who has ever used an iPhone. Not only is CarPlay easy to use, it is also safe. By using CarPlay in your car, you can make calls, navigate your route, hear your playlist, and listen to your messages, all while still being hands free and safe.
What Hyundai Models Include Apple CarPlay?
As a car manufacturer, Hyundai has done an excellent job of making Apple CarPlay available in many of its cars. In fact, Hyundai models from 2016 on that have either Display Audio or Navigation already have Apple CarPlay available to customers. However, even if your Hyundai did not initially come with CarPlay, don’t worry. Many other Hyundai models can be modified with a simple software update, which we will discuss later. For now, the current list of Hyundai models that include Apple CarPlay are:
- 2018 Kona and 2019 Kona
- 2018 and 2019 Tucson
- 2019 Santa Fe
- 2019 Santa Fe XL
- 2018 and 2019 Elantra
- 2018 and 2019 Sonata
- 2018 and 2019 Accent
- 2018 and 2019 Elantra GT
- 2016, 2017 and 2019 Veloster
- 2018 and 2019 Ioniq Hybrid
- 2018 and 2019 Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
- 2017, 2018 and 2019 Ioniq Electric
- 2018 and 2019 Sonata Hybrid
- 2019 Sonata Plug-in Hybrid
- 2019 Kona Electric
- 2019 Nexo Fuel Cell
- 2015 and 2016 Genesis
How Much Does CarPlay Cost?
Since Hyundai has made it a point to make their recent cars as CarPlay friendly as possible, the car manufacturer has also extended a similar kindness to their customers. So, you’ll be happy to know that CarPlay does not cost anything extra when used in a Hyundai.
I Don’t Have CarPlay, Can I Get a Hyundai CarPlay Upgrade?
Thanks to Hyundai’s willingness to embrace Apple CarPlay so enthusiastically, you can upgrade your Hyundai to use CarPlay on your own and for free, even if you didn’t initially purchase a model that featured CarPlay. In fact, you might qualify for a free update as long as you have either Display Audio or Navigation and one of the following car models:
- 2015-2016 Genesis
- 2015-2016 Sonata
- 2015-2016 Azer
- 2016 Elantra GT
- 2016 Sonata Hybrid
- 2016 Sonata Plug-in Hybrid
- 2016 Tucson
- 2016 Veloster
- 2017 Santa Fe
- 2017 Santa Fe Sport
Installing the update for Apple CarPlay in your Hyundai is a simple and free process. Here’s how you do it:
- First, make sure you have your car’s VIN number, a USB stick from your car’s navigation, an iPhone, and a USB charging cable.
- Login to your account at myhyundai.com and you’ll see the free download option.
- Once you select the download option, Hyundai’s website will guide you through each step of the process.
How to Setup and Use Your Hyundai CarPlay
- Connect your Hyundai to your iPhone using your USB cable.
- When asked if your car can connect to CarPlay, select connect.
- After that, CarPlay should pop up on your car’s screen as an icon. You might be prompted to connect CarPlay again.
- When you are connected, you can then press on the apps you want to use, or talk to Siri.