Apple CarPlay offers plenty of great features drivers will want to access while on the road. The best thing about CarPlay is that all of the apps a driver would ever need to use while on the go are easy to access and can all be utilized hands free. If you just purchased a new Volvo, you have CarPlay with your new car. Once you’ve connected your phone to your Volvo via USB, you’ll see on your Volvo’s display screen the default CarPlay apps.
How to add apps.
What Volvo Models Include Apple CarPlay?
Volvo arrived early to the CarPlay game, and was one of the first car manufacturers to offer Apple CarPlay in their new car models. All Volvo models now come with CarPlay.
- 2019 S60 Starting MSRP $36,795
- 2019 S90 Starting MSRP $48,345
- 2020 V60 Starting MSRP $40,645
- 2019 V60 Cross Country Starting MSRP $46,095
- 2019 V90 Starting MSRP $52,445
- 2019 V90 Cross Country Starting MSRP $53,545
- 2020 XC40 Starting MSRP $34,695
- 2019 XC60 Starting MSRP $40,795
- 2019 XC90 Starting MSRP $48,695
How Much Does CarPlay Cost?
Luckily, if you are planning on purchasing a Volvo and you want Apple CarPlay, you’ll be happy to know that you won’t need to pay any additional monthly or subscription charges to use CarPlay with your Volvo. Unlike BMW, who charges around $80 per year for customers to use CarPlay with their cars as a subscription service, CarPlay comes with your Volvo at no additional cost.
I Don’t Have CarPlay, Can I Get a Volvo CarPlay Upgrade?
If you already purchased your Volvo and it didn’t come with CarPlay, you’ll be able to get a retrofit for your car so that you’ll be able to enjoy CarPlay.
2015 Volvo XC90
Dealers can reprogram the infotainment system on 2015 Volvo XC90 vehicles.
Warranty info: This service bulletin is being performed free of charge under the Volvo limited new-car warranty.
What owners should do: Call your local dealer with your vehicle’s identification number to determine if your vehicle is involved in this service bulletin. You can call Volvo at 800-458-1552.
For older Volvos getting a dealer CarPlay retrofit, the final result depends on the model and year. The cost is only known by your Volvo dealer, so call them for a quote. If it’s available, you’ll still be using some features on the old display, like the navigation, climate-control and a few other settings, all of which are controlled through the steering-wheel buttons or other dashboard buttons.
The retrofit for older Volvos without the baseline hardware is done with Parrot hardware. With the retrofit, you’ll see a new “Connected” button that provides access to the touchscreen with apps like TuneIn, Spotify, and Parrot Maps.
The retrofit software is formed around Parrot’s Android-based Asteroid car infotainment system. The software is loaded onto a small box which is installed in the glove box and connects to the car’s original infotainment system.
Or Go The New Stereo Route
- Alpine — Shop for Alpine car stereos with CarPlay
- Clarion — Shop for Clarion car stereos with CarPlay
- Kenwood — Shop for Kenwood car stereos with CarPlay
- Pioneer — Shop for Pioneer car stereos with CarPlay
- Sony — Shop for Sony car stereos with CarPlay
How to Set Up CarPlay
You can setup CarPlay in your Volvo by following these steps:
On Your Volvo
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi (on models that require Siri to be plugged in, either by your personal hotspot or by connecting to the Volvo’s Wi-Fi hotspot)
- Connect your iPhone to your Volvo using the USB/Lightning connector cord
- Swipe the Sensus screen from right to left to open the app view
- Select the icon for CarPlay
- Read the Terms and Conditions and select Accept
- CarPlay, with all of the available apps, will show in the Sensus Home screen underneath the Media tile
- The CarPlay screen cannot be adjusted. It is only available as the size it displays on the Sensus screen.
On Your iPhone
Siri must be enabled in your iPhone to use CarPlay:
- Go to Settings
- Select General
- Select Siri
- Slide the bar to enable (will be green)