If you’re thinking about purchasing a new Audi or you’d like to retrofit an older Audi, then you’re in luck. Audi currently offers CarPlay in a wide variety of their car models, so you’ll have plenty of options if you are buying a new Audi. On the other hand, if you’re looking to retrofit an older model Audi, you’ll be happy to know that there are several retrofit options that work in car models as old as 2001.
What Audi Models Include Apple CarPlay?
If you’re thinking about buying a new Audi and you’re dying to get Apple CarPlay included with your new car, then you’re in luck. Audi offers several models that include Apple CarPlay. Currently, the following Audi models can utilize CarPlay:
- 2017 – 2020 A3
- 2017 – 2020 A4
- 2017 – 2020 A5
- 2017 – 2020 A6
- 2017 – 2020 A7
- 2017 – 2020 Q2
- 2017 – 2020 Q7
- 2017 – 2020 R8
- 2017 – 2020 TT
- 2018 – 2020 Q5
- 2019 – 2020 e-tron
- 2019 – 2020 Q8
How Much Does CarPlay Cost?
Since BMW started a subscription service fee for those buying BMWs and wanting CarPlay, many people wonder if other car manufacturers are also doing this. BMW allows the first year of CarPlay for free, and then charges $80 every year afterwards. However, with the purchase of an Audi, you won’t have this problem. Audi does not charge any subscription service fees for the use of CarPlay.
I Don’t Have CarPlay, Can I Get an Audi CarPlay Upgrade?
Most Audis can be retrofitted to include CarPlay, and that even includes some models as old as 1997. For those cars, 2-din CarPlay head units offer an option. This type of retrofit works with:
- A3 8P (2003–2012)
- A4 B7 (2001–2006)
- A6 C5 (1997-2004)
- TT 8J (2006-2014
Another option for Audi owners is to use a dedicated 3rd-party CarPlay box. Companies that offer this option include NaviPlus, VAG-NaviSystems, and Unique Auto Developments. This option works for these Audi models:
- Audi A1 8X (2010-2018)
- Audi A3 8V (2012–2018)
- Audi A4/A5 B8 (2008–2016) and B9 (2016-2018)
- Audi A6/A7 C6 2004–2011) and C7 (2010–2017)
- Audi A8 D4 (2011-2017)
- Audi Q3 8U (2011–2018)
- Audi Q5 8R (2008-2015
- Audi Q7 4M
How to Set Up and Use Your Audi CarPlay
Setting up CarPlay in your Audi is quite simple. Just follow the steps below.
- Use a Lightning-to-USB cable and connect it to the USB in your car. Then, plug the cable into the phone so that your car and iPhone are now connected together through CarPlay.
- If this is the first time you’ve connected your car to your iPhone, you’ll need to do a quick approval process so that your car and connect to your phone. You need to be parked while doing this. Make sure you approve the connection.
- After that, your car and iPhone should connect, and they will then automatically go into CarPlay mode.
- The CarPlay app will automatically launch or you’ll be asked to select it from your infotainment menu.
- You should now see the main CarPlay screen that looks similar to your iPhone’s screen.
- If you want to go back to the home screen, press the home button.
- If you want to activate Siri, tap and hold the home button.