Harley-Davidson recently announced last year that they’d include Apply CarPlay in their Boom! Box GTS Infotainment System, which began with Harley Davidson’s 2019 models. That’s exciting news for motorcycle enthusiasts that want CarPlay’s safe, easy-to-use infotainment system on their screens as they drive their bikes. Since CarPlay is so safe to use, many Harley owners have been wanting to install the system on their bikes. The good news is that Harley is now offering an infotainment system that will work with Apple CarPlay on their 2019-2020 model bikes.
The system comes standard on a few Harley models, including:
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davison Road Glide Special
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide
There are also factory-installed options for other bikes, including:
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson Street Glide
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson Road Glide
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
- The 2019-2020 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
If you are purchasing a 2019+ Touring Harley Davidson, then you get CarPlay on it from the factory. If you want to add the Boom! GTS Infotainment System onto your bike if it doesn’t come standard, then you’ll have to pay an additional $1899.99, which would be added onto the total price of whatever bike your purchase at your Harley-Davidson dealer.
Unfortunately, for anybody that owns a 2018 or older model of a Harley Davidson, they are left out by their manufacturer. Plenty of people with older model bikes still want to get Apple CarPlay installed into their bike’s infotainment system. That’s because the Boom! GTS System isn’t available to use on Harley’s older model bikes.
Luckily, there’s a solution for these older Harley bikes that are in the range of 1996-2019. You’ll be able to add Apple CarPlay and other audio improvements onto your bike now if you’d like.
The DIN Slots
One of the problems with the 1996-2013 Touring family of bikes has to do with head units and your DIN slots. If you have a 1996-2013 bike, then you only have one DIN slot, and most CarPlay options require two. So, what can you do since you need two DIN slots?
If you want to solve this problem, consider a new Inner Fairing offered by Metra, which is called the 95-HDIF. This particular fairing system is made to perfectly fit onto a 1996-2013 Touring model, and it also works with a Double DIN head unit. So, the problem has already been solved for you.
The Metra can be used with the Sony XAV-AX5000 plug and play bundle. This system is so easy to install, many Harley owners are capable of doing it themselves. However, if you aren’t comfortable with that, te installation can also be done in a shop. Below we’ve listed what the bundle will cost.
- Sony XAV-AX5000 (retail: $399.99)
- Metra 95-HDIF Replacement Inner Fairing (retail: $599.99)
- Metra HD-ASWC-1 handlebar control integration module (retail: $89.99)